The original Bute House, which belonged to the Marquis of Bute, stood on the site of the swimming pool. The house was first used as a school, albeit briefly, in 1918 by Belgian refugees. Four years later it became the boarding house for St Paul's Girls' School until the Second World War, when it was requisitioned by the army. On the opposite side of Brook Green, an independent girls' prep school was set up in 1932. Its Head, Miss F.A.Wigg, adopted the name Colet Girls' School during the war, when her school shared facilities with Colet Court and St Paul's Girls' School.
In October 1958 Bute House was reopened as an independent, mixed-ability preparatory school and so every October we celebrate her School Birthday and provide treats and entertainments for the children who very much look forward to this very special day in the school calendar.
Our beautiful copper beech tree was planted about two hundred years ago in what was at the time the large parkland of the original Bute House and it was the last of the trees from that parkland still standing. This deer park was a beautiful area with a sweeping carriage drive to Bute House running through it.