Who processes your information?
Bute House Preparatory School is the data controller of the pupil information you provide to us. This means the school determines the purposes for which, and the manner in which, any personal data relating to pupils is to be processed. In some cases, your data will be outsourced to a third party processor; however, this will only be done with your consent, unless the law requires the school to share your data. Where the school outsources data to a third party processor, the same data protection standards that Bute House Preparatory School upholds are imposed on the processor. The School Bursar is our Data Protection Officer. The role of the Data Protection Officer is to oversee and monitor the School’s Data Protection procedures, and to ensure they are compliant with the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR). The Data Protection Officer can be contacted on 0207 603 7381 or via email@example.com
Why do we collect and use your information?
Bute House Preparatory School holds the legal right to collect and use personal data relating to pupils and their families, and we may also receive information regarding them from their previous school, LA and/or the DfE. We collect and use personal data in order to meet legal requirements and legitimate interests set out in the GDPR and UK law, including those in relation to the following:
- Article 6 and Article 9 of the GDPR
- Education Act 1996 · Regulation 5 of The Education (Information About Individual Pupils) (England) Regulations 2013
In accordance with the above, the personal data of pupils and their families is collected and used for the following reasons:
- to support pupil learning
- to monitor and report on pupil progress
- to provide appropriate pastoral care
- to assess the quality of our services
- to comply with the law regarding data sharing
Which data is collected?
The categories of pupil information that we collect, hold and share include:
- Personal information (such as name, address, date of birth, unique pupil number, school history and Parental Consent)
- Characteristics (such as ethnicity, language, nationality, country of birth and Bursary eligibility)
- Contact information (basic details such as name, relationship, contact preferences, address, e-mail address and telephone numbers)
- Attendance information (such as sessions attended, number of absences and absence reasons)
- Special Needs information
- Assessment information
Whilst the majority of the personal data you provide to the school is mandatory, some is provided on a voluntary basis. When collecting data, the school will inform you whether you are required to provide this data or if your consent is needed. Where consent is required, the school will provide you with specific and explicit information with regards to the reasons the data is being collected and how the data will be used.
How long is your data stored for?
Personal data relating to pupils at Bute House Prep. School and their families is stored in line with the school’s Records Management Policy. In accordance with the GDPR, the school does not store personal data indefinitely; data is only stored for as long as is necessary to complete the task for which it was originally collected.
Why we share pupil information
We do not share information about our pupils with anyone without consent unless the law and our policies allow us to do so.
We share pupils’ data with the Department for Education (DfE) on a statutory basis (see NPD below)
The National Pupil Database (NPD) is managed by the DfE and contains information about pupils in schools in England. Bute House Prep. School is required by law to provide information about our pupils to the DfE as part of statutory data collections, such as the school census; some of this information is then stored in the NPD. The DfE may share information about our pupils from the NDP with third parties who promote the education or wellbeing of children in England by
- Conducting research or analysis.
- Producing statistics.
- Providing information, advice or guidance.
The DFE has robust processes in place to ensure the confidentiality of any data shared from the NDP is maintained.
Who we share pupil information with
We routinely share pupil information with:
- Schools that the pupil’s attend after leaving us
- Our local authority
- The Department for Education (DfE) SLASC
- 3rd Party software solution providers
Data collection requirements:
To find out more about the data collection requirements placed on us by the Department for Education (for example; via the school census) go to https://www.gov.uk/education/data-collection-and-censuses-for-schools.
What are your rights?
Under Data Protection legislation, parents and pupils have the right to request access to information about them that we hold. To make a request for your personal information, or be given access to your child’s educational record, please contact the Head, via firstname.lastname@example.org
You also have the right to:
- Be informed about how Bute House Preparatory School uses your personal data.
- Request access to the personal data that Bute House Preparatory School holds.
- Request that your personal data is amended if it is inaccurate or incomplete.
- Request that your personal data is erased where there is no compelling reason for its continued processing.
- Request that the processing of your data is restricted.
- Object to your personal data being processed.
Where the processing of your data is based on your consent, you have the right to withdraw this consent at any time.
If you have a concern about the way we are collecting or using your personal data, we request that you raise your concern with us in the first instance. Alternatively, you can contact the Information Commissioner’s Office at https://ico.org.uk/concerns/
If you would like to discuss anything in this privacy notice, please contact the Bursar, Sandra Frost, via email@example.com